Join 1 million Americans and 7,500+ communities nationwide in celebrating the afterschool programs that keep our kids safe, inspire them to learn and help working families.
Lights On Afterschool being held on Thursday, October 20, 2011 helps to call attention to the importance of afterschool programs and build the visibility of your program. To sign up, locate an event in your area, or access event planning tools visit: http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/loa.cfm.
Please click here for the flyer of all the ways you can celebrate Lights On Afterschool in October in Allegheny County.
Lights On Afterschool is…
A national day of recognition celebrating the importance of afterschool programming. Afterschool keeps kids safe, helps working families and inspires learning. In light of these tough economic times, it is critical that we raise our voices to make a case for afterschool! We hope that you can join us in this opportunity to build a united front of advocates for the importance of afterschool!
Allegheny Partners for Out-of-School Time (APOST) is a partnership of funders, intermediaries and providers dedicated to building a quality OST system that will contribute to the healthy successful development of young people as they progress through their school years, graduate from high school, and enter into adulthood.
We invite you to…
- Attend the Lights On Afterschool event hosted by APOST at the Carnegie Science Center with your afterschool program participants, families and supporters! Special discounted price for admission to the Center…only $4.00 per person.
- Share information about your program at the event during the provider fair! We invite you to set up an informational table about your program. Feel free to be creative and bring a presentation board, handouts, pictures and props!
- Show off your afterschool program in our demonstration area so visitors can observe your program in action and even participate! Demonstrations will be scheduled in 30 minute increments so that your program participants will have a chance to enjoy the Science Center.
RSVP your participation by October 21st to Kathryn Vargas at 412-363-1910 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lights on Afterschool at the Carnegie Science Center
Tuesday October 25th * 4:00PM – 7:00PM
Reduced admission to the Science Center for afterschool program participants…$4.00.
Provider Fair: Share information about your program and learn what others are doing!
Program Demonstration Area…See afterschool programs in action!
Rally & light up ceremony at Fred Rogers Memorial Statue with special guests!
Join us at 7:00PM as we Light Up a Pittsburgh Landmark!!
As part of a national initiative to shine a light on Afterschool, we were challenged to light up a Pittsburgh landmark. What better landmark then the Fred Rogers Memorial Statue, a true pillar of education in the Pittsburgh Community? At the close of The Carnegie Science Center event, we will parade to the Fred Rogers Memorial Statue for an interactive ceremonial lighting! Also hear from community leaders in education as we reflect on the importance of afterschool.
Feature your program in a Video to be shown at the Lights On Event!
Send us a 2-3 minute video featuring your program, students, parents, providers, or teachers and be a part of “The Best of Afterschool in Allegheny County,” a film which will be shown the night of the event! Submissions must be turned in by October 7th!
Please keep in mind:
• Submissions should not include music
• You can request to borrow a flip-cam or get students to help with filming
• Save your video in the following format: DVD
• You must have a video release form signed for EVERYONE who appears in your video
Please refer all submissions and inquiries to Susan Brozek Scott with Afterschool Buddy, Inc. at 412-486-2151 or email@example.com.
Get on the Bus for Afterschool! Day of Advocacy in Harrisburg
Monday, October 18, 2011
Bus leaves from Home Depot, East Liberty at 6:00AM and will return around 7:00PM
Join afterschool program providers, participants and supporters from across Allegheny Country for a day of advocacy in Harrisburg. This is our chance to speak with our elected officials about the importance of afterschool. The event will culminate in a statewide rally in the rotunda of our state capitol. Let’s make sure Harrisburg keeps afterschool programming a priority in Pennsylvania!
RSVP your spot on the bus by contacting: Aimee LeFevers at