Allegheny County will be a leader in providing children and youth with a strong network of high-quality afterschool and summer programs that foster personal growth and learning through positive relationships that inspire discovery and contribute to success.
Allegheny Partners for Out-of-School Time (APOST) strives to improve quality and access to out-of-school time opportunities for children and youth in Allegheny County.
The following set of values drive APOST’s Mission and Vision:
- Partnership: We will be successful only when youth, parents, schools, organizations and government are committed and work together to achieve long-term results.
- Positive Youth Development: Children and youth learn best in environments that build their competence, confidence, character, connection, and contributions to the community.
- Justice: Addressing institutional racism and confronting structural barriers to success for youth and families are critical steps to ensuring equitable access to high-quality out-of-school time programs.
- Data-Informed: The use of good data about program impact and supply/demand is essential. Data should enable partners to serve students more effectively and efficiently.
- Youth Voice: The community respects the voice of children and youth and intentionally cultivates genuine leadership opportunities for them.
Increase access to quality out-of-school time programs across the county by building the capacity of the region’s out-of-school time community.
- Advocate on behalf of the out-of-school time community, specifically the need to secure and sustain dedicated funding.
- Support the implementation of system-building efforts that increase collaboration and efficiency between out-of-school time programs working in the same geographical footprint.
- Build strategic partnerships at the local, state, and national levels that represent the needs of Pittsburgh’s out-of-school time community and enhance the presence of out-of-school time as a critical stakeholder in Pittsburgh’s learning networks.