- This event has passed.
APOST Fall Conference for Out-of-School Time (Fall 2014)
September 12, 2014 @ 8:20 am - 3:00 pmFree
The APOST Bi-Annual Conference is a professional development conference that shares best practices in youth development. The conference is open to youth practitioners to increase their skills in working with youth in out-of-school time programs, mentoring relationships, or in summer camps.
The keynote speaker is Marcia Tate, a nationally recognized leader in education and professional development. There will also be a variety of workshops such as social media training, volunteer management, adaptive leadership, and more! Please note that space is limited and Quality Campaign members have priority. Breakfast and lunch are provided. This event is supported by local foundations.
To register, click here.
8:20AM: Breakfast and Registration begins
8:40AM-9:35AM: Keynote by Marcia Tate “Worksheets Don’t Grow Dendrites: 20 Instructional Strategies that Engage the Brain”
9:45AM-11:00AM: Session One
- Parent Engagement (Leah O’Reilly)
- Deficit Framing of Youth (Hannah Ufnar)
- Understanding Individual Work Styles for Implementing Best Management Techniques (Twila Simmons-Walker)
- 20 Instructional Strategies (Marcia Tate)
- 21st CCLC Panel Discussion (Current and Former Grantees)
- Don’t Call it a Classroom: Re-framing OST Programs to Encourage Play & Creativity (John Lozecki)
- Adaptive Leadership (Michael Sider-Rose)
- Behavior Management for OST (Shayna Willis)
- Meeting the Needs of African American Males in an After School Setting (Rick Mason)
- Outreach & Impact: Social Media Training (D.S. Kinsel)
- Volunteer Management (Jenny Schaeffer)
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (Aaron Romens)