See a list of upcoming offerings in our monthly professional development series!
These two hour workshops are best for the learner if presented in sequential order, but can be delivered individually.
I. Stages of Youth Development – provides key concepts of the cognitive, emotional, physical, and social development of youth.
II. Teaching Strategies – review various learning styles, such as the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic modalities as well as the seven multiple intelligences that demonstrate intellectual abilities in order to best work with youth.
III.Creating Positive Environments – learn the approach of working with youth within a positive, motivational, and supportive environment through the incorporation of the 5 C’s into programming: competence, confidence, connection, character, and contribution.
These two-hour workshops can be delivered individually or combined with other workshops.
- *Active Learning– experience active learning first-hand and gain experience building the six principles of active learning into an OST program
- *Ask- Listen- Encourage– learn the concept of positive, purposeful interaction with youth and the characteristics of effective questions and positive responses to youth and their work
- *Building Community– provides participants with the skills to build community with youth while reviewing the stages of group development; participants will also learn ways to provide youth with opportunities to develop a sense of belonging
- *Cooperative Learning– use a variety of group forming strategies (Group Formers) and group work structures (Group Structures) to create educational group learning environments that meet the social and intellectual needs of youth
- *Homework Help– provides theoretical strategies to create interactive and supportive learning environments needed for youth to complete homework assignments (This workshop does not provide technical support for completing specific homework lessons.)
- *Introduction to the Active Participatory Approach– learn the four guiding principles of the Active Participatory Approach (APA) to incorporate into OST programming
- *Planning & Reflection– develop strategies to best incorporate planning and reflection into OST programming
- *Reframing Conflict– learn to incorporate a step-by-step conflict resolution model that focuses on teaching youth to how to re-frame conflict into learning experiences
- *Structure & Clear Limits– learn how structure and clear limits meet the developmental needs of youth. Participants will have the opportunity to learn ways to improve their own OST program structure
- *Youth Voice– reflect on how Youth Voice is offered in your program and gain experience utilizing strategies to offer meaningful opportunities for youth participation
* The Youth Work Methods workshops are based on content developed by the David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality, Forum for Youth Investment, and HighScope Foundation. Recent findings from the Youth Program Quality Intervention (YPQI), demonstrate that exposure to and use of this content improves program quality in out-of-school-time settings.
Simple Interactions is a practice-based, strengths-focused and community driven approach to support and develop professional, youth serving adults. The method identifies and captures adult-child interactions in everyday settings, facilitate learning communities to grow and develop and communicates the science and practice of human interactions. Learn more about Simple Interactions and apply to participate in our next SI Leadership Program cohort.
In addition, there are a number of certification, training, and networking opportunities available in Afterschool. Check out the Events Calendar for specific training workshops and conferences to build your skills as a youth practitioner. APOST can also help identify additional resources from many of our partners. To schedule workshops, please contact us: apost@unitedwaySWPA.org. If you require an attendance certificate for a training you’ve participated in, please email Jaron Paul at Jaron.email@example.com.