These two hour workshops are best for the learner if presented in sequential order, but can be delivered individually.
I. Stages of Youth Development– provides key concepts of the cognitive, emotional, physical, and social development of youth
II. Creating Purposeful & Positive Environments – learn the approach of working with youth within a positive, motivational, and supportive environment through the incorporation of the 5 C’s into programming: competence, confidence, connection, character, and contribution
III. Basic Youth Teaching Strategies– learn facilitation strategies for working with youth
These two-hour workshops can be delivered individually or combined with other workshops.
- *Active Learning– experience active learning first-hand and gain experience building the six principles of active learning into an OST program
- *Ask- Listen- Encourage– learn the concept of positive, purposeful interaction with youth and the characteristics of effective questions and positive responses to youth and their work
- *Building Community– provides participants with the skills to build community with youth while reviewing the stages of group development; participants will also learn ways to provide youth with opportunities to develop a sense of belonging
- *Cooperative Learning– use a variety of group forming strategies (Group Formers) and group work structures (Group Structures) to create educational group learning environments that meet the social and intellectual needs of youth
- *Homework Help– provides theoretical strategies to create interactive and supportive learning environments needed for youth to complete homework assignments (This workshop does not provide technical support for completing specific homework lessons.)
- *Introduction to the Active Participatory Approach– learn the four guiding principles of the Active Participatory Approach (APA) to incorporate into OST programming
- *Planning & Reflection– develop strategies to best incorporate planning and reflection into OST programming
- *Reframing Conflict– learn to incorporate a step-by-step conflict resolution model that focuses on teaching youth to how to re-frame conflict into learning experiences
- *Structure & Clear Limits– learn how structure and clear limits meet the developmental needs of youth. Participants will have the opportunity to learn ways to improve their own OST program structure
- *Youth Voice– reflect on how Youth Voice is offered in your program and gain experience utilizing strategies to offer meaningful opportunities for youth participation
In addition, there are a number of certification, training, and networking opportunities available in Afterschool. Check out the Events Calendar for specific training workshops and conferences to build your skills as a youth practitioner. APOST can also help identify additional resources from many of our partners.
What Partners say about APOST’s Professional Development Workshops:
“I can’t begin to thank you enough for the outstanding training you provided today! I have an education background, and I’ve experienced many different trainings, but yours was by far the most engaging! I also received lots of positive feedback from my staff! We look forward to implementing many of the new ideas that were presented.”
~Becky Brown, SHIM Afterschool Program Director
Thank you so much for the staff development yesterday at McKeesport. Everyone was so engaged and I have heard very good comments about the training. Once again, thanks to APOST for providing this service with such excellent presenters. As we say at Propel it is MAGIC!
~Rosemary Anderson, Propel Schools
To schedule workshops for your team of eight, please contact us: apost@unitedwaySWPA.org
* The Youth Work Methods workshops are based on content developed by the David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality, Forum for Youth Investment, and HighScope Foundation. Recent findings from the Youth Program Quality Intervention (YPQI), a randomized experimental study, demonstrate that exposure to and use of this content improves program quality in out-of-school-time settings.