Using Action Research to Deepen Expertise
in Applied Child & Youth Development Topics
boOST your expertise is intended for individuals with a passion for youth development and an interest in using action research to establish expertise personally and publicly within a specific area of the field.
Throughout the program and with support from facilitators, you will:
Across the 10-month program, participants will pick topics in which to deepen their expertise. The course will provide support for using the tools of social science to increase understanding about their topics of choice.
Participants will work as a cohort to strengthen each others work through feedback and review, as well as connect with local experts for coaching in specific areas. Upon program completion, alumni may be eligible for financial support to share their expertise in additional venues such as local or national conferences, panels, and events.
Eligible participants must:
- Be working or have worked part-time or full-time at an out-of-school time program
- Have at least three years working with youth
- Be in commuting distance to the meeting locations in Pittsburgh
- Be available for the entire program and attend all program sessions. Meetings occur 1-2 times per month over the course of the academic year and significant time is needed for research, reflection and writing.
- Demonstrate passion for the field of youth development and an interest in using action research as a method for building and developing expertise and improving practice
- Have a vision for how he/she intends to use the program to improve their own practice and contribute to the field of youth development
Currently, APOST and the University of Pittsburgh are working together to revamp the boOST model to enhance the experience for participants. The new application process and application will be made available in the near future.